Letchworth Garden City BID are looking for a new BID Manager to lead and promote Love Letchworth.
We are looking for someone who is excited about supporting and promoting our diverse range of local retailers and town centre businesses, finding innovative ways to promote our town centre’s unique offers, increasing footfall and making us a go-to destination. You will need to be entrepreneurial and have a track record of growing a small organisation to make a bigger impact.
This is an outward facing role where you will build strong relationships with our businesses and be able to advocate their needs and find creative ways of supporting them. You will need good general management skills including admin, business planning, finance, IT, communications and marketing. This is a rare opportunity to make a big impact.
The closing date for all applications is Monday 31st October, 2022 at 5pm.
JOB DESCRIPTION & SPECIFICATION
Location: Letchworth Garden City
Job Type: FTC to 31st March 2024. The contract will become permanent following a successful ballot to extend the BID for a further 5-year term.
Hours of Work: Full Time – Based on 37.5 hours per week (additional time will be required to support events at weekends and Bank Holidays).
Holiday: 25 days in addition to statutory Public Holidays (pro-rata).
Salary: Dependant upon experience.
If you wish to apply for the position, please send your CV and a covering letter to [email protected].
Purpose of the role
A Business Improvement District (BID) is a business-led and business-funded body formed (via a ballot) to improve a defined commercial area; the majority of the BID’s defined commercial area covers Letchworth Town Centre. BIDs charge a levy to local businesses in return for providing services over and above the usual local authority provision.
Ultimately the aim of Letchworth BID is to develop projects, promotions and support that benefit local businesses, maximise its destination and to support and improve Letchworth for residents and visitors, to make the BID district the best it can be.
The BID Manager will provide strategic leadership and operational management for Letchworth BID; this role is the public face of Letchworth BID, and it is essential that they establish and maintain a high profile and effective relationships with levy payers, businesses, and stake holders at all times. They must facilitate the delivery of additional funding and income throughout the BID term with success measured against a series of KPIs whilst delivering the BIDs business plan.
- Lead the organisation internally and externally.
- Represent the Letchworth BID at external events whilst promoting its objectives and profile.
- Work alongside and cooperate with the BID’s consultants.
- Ensure that the Chair & Executive Directors are briefed on operational activities including opportunities and threats.
- Arrange, attend, and report to all Board/Director meetings.
- Implement projects to generate additional income and funding and add value to BID delivery.
- Lead the BID and ensure that BID members see value for money as a member.
- Ensure project delivery in line with the business plan.
- Lead the renewal process of Letchworth BID to a second term 2024-2029.
- Manage operational teams to ensure effective and efficient delivery of the business objectives.
- Manage and monitor all employees including personal development plans.
- Day to day management including employee attendance and absence using Bright HR.
- Maintenance of staff contracts, staff handbooks and company structure, ensuring it is fully compliant.
- Processing of overtime to company accountant.
- Develop and implement the BID business plan with a set of targets and KPIs that are regularly reported against.
- Plan, manage, monitor, report on and safeguard the financial position of the BID; ensuring that performance is in line with approved budgets and cashflow.
- Accountability for all budgets including providing advice to the Executive Board in setting annual budgets to ensure they are both realistic and deliverable.
- Monitor of BID levy collections in line with the North Herts Council agreement.
- Develop and deliver strategies that will benefit the BID district relating to town centre businesses, promote tourism, footfall, and exposure.
- Ensure risk control and management of BID assets, finances and staff is conducted in accordance with all approved management systems and protocols and is fully compliant.
- Monitor and manage performance of the business against the business plan.
- Always ensure company compliance.
- Be the operational point of contact for relevant partners, and work to coordinate the aims of the Company with key county partners and stakeholders.
- Maintain positive working relationships with all organisations and individuals that can assist the BID achieve its aims including:
- BID Businesses
- BID Board members
- Letchworth Heritage Foundation
- North Hertfordshire Council
- Hertfordshire County Council
- Develop positive working relations with other local organisations and individuals that can assist the BID achieve its aims.
- Experience of working with business (and/or other organisational types) to identify their support needs and developing a range of programmes, services and activities that meet those needs and promote business
- Knowledge and understanding of the retail sector and changing customer expectations/needs
- Knowledge and understanding of how to promote and advocate business/retail needs with the public and other stakeholders
- Experience of income generation, business development and/or fundraising
- Competency with Microsoft 365 Packages (Excel, Word, and PowerPoint) and good data management skills
- Must be fluent in the English language
- Business planning, monitoring and performance management skills
- Experience of budgeting and financial management and reporting
- Project development and management skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent leadership skills
- Excellent organisational and administrative skills
- Confident and articulate, able to quickly build and manage relationships and trust.
- Ability to adapt to a changing work environment that requires the balance of multiple tasks and detailed information in a fast-paced setting.
- Work in partnership with others to set goals, resolve problems and make decisions that enhance the BID’s delivery to its members.
- Experience of working with a range of stakeholders and partners from across the public and private sectors.
- Methodical and organised with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Resourceful and able to work under pressure.
- Innovative and entrepreneurial; able to adopt creative approaches to obstacles and challenges.